State trooper shoots dead an unarmed deaf mute father who was trying to communicate via sign language after being pulled over for a speeding violation
- Daniel Kevin Harris, 29, was killed just feet from his home in Charlotte
- He was stopped for a speeding violation on Interstate 485 on Thursday
- Witnesses say trooper shot him 'almost immediately after he exited car'
- Police say that when Harris got out of his car, 'an encounter' took place that led to shots being fired
- A police report identified Harris as hearing and speech impaired, but did not give further details about his impairments
A North Carolina state trooper shot dead a deaf and mute man who was apparently trying to communicate using sign language after he was pulled over for a speeding violation.
Daniel Kevin Harris, 29, a father to a four-year-old boy, was killed just feet from his home in Charlotte by trooper Jermaine Saunders on Thursday evening.Police say Saunders tried to pull Harris over for a speeding violation on Interstate 485 at around 6.15pm, but the driver led authorities on a brief pursuit before stopping.
Officials said that's when the driver got out of his car and an encounter took place between the driver and the trooper, causing a shot to be fired. Harris died at the scene.
But witnesses said Harris – who was unarmed – was shot ‘almost immediately’ after he exited his vehicle, WCNC reports.